St. John's
Church

Hopton Hall Lane

   WF14 8EL

 

Welcome to

St. John the Evangelist in Upper Hopton, WF14 8EL

In the Mirfield Team Parish

 

 

For the love of God we strive for:

quality in worship and the service of others;

stewardship of the resources that are entrusted to us;

partnership, and harmonious relationships among ourselves and with the wider community.

Where we fail we ask forgiveness, dust ourselves down and strive anew.

 

May God Bless you.

 

Rev'd Hugh Baker

(Vicar of Mirfield Team Parish)

 

God help us to live slowly:

To move simply:

To look softly:

To allow emptiness:

To let the heart create for us.

Amen

Michael Leunig

                 Contact Details Vicar  Revd. Hugh C. Baker 

           Tel. 505790 Email vicar@mirfieldteamparish.org.uk
                        

   CURATE Revd. Helen Butler. Tel 496189  
 ssm@mirfieldteamparish.org.uk

For information on Weddings and Baptisms contact the Church Office 01924 490167 
email: admin@mirfieldteamparish.org.uk
Church Wardens David Alderson 517499  Karen Batty

PCC Secretary Vicky Bowen 
We look forward to welcoming you to our services:-
Sung Eucharist at 11.15 am each Sunday
(except the fifth Sunday in the month when we have a combined service with St Mary’s and St Paul’s)
Children are most welcome to our Sunday School also at 11.15 a.m. 
Traditional Choral Evensong 4.30 pm on the first Sunday of the month.
For more details of other events in the Team Parish Visit our website 

  www.mirfieldteamparish.org.uk

 

St John’s Church A brief History.

In 1840, Upper Hopton was made an Ecclesiastical District, with a curate, George Kerr, in charge.
In 1843, James Micklethwaite, a Maltster who lived at Hopton Hall, donated a plot of land to the Church Commissioners in recognition of Rev. Kerr’s work over the previous 3 years. Designed by the Durham architects Bonomi and Cory, the church is a copy of the 15th century Perpendicular style. The final bill was almost £1,200. The foundation stone was laid on St John the Evangelist’s Day – December 27th – 1844 by James Micklethwaite and the building was consecrated on October 21st 1846. Full Story Here

More About St John's.

The Interior. A brief Description HERE

Information about getting married in our churches is available here in our 

Marriage Booklet

 

Information about Baptism is available here in our 

Baptism Booklet.